Sunday 15 December 2013

Reflexive pronouns



Reflexive pronouns


We use reflexive pronouns ( myself, yourself,etc.) when the subject and object are the same people: They can't learn to look after themselves.

We use by myself, by yourself, etc. to mean alone: The dangers of letting your kids you out by themselves are smaller than you might think.

We also use reflexive pronouns to emphasize that we do something instead of someone else doing it for us: Children need to make day-to-day decisions themselves.







subject pronouns
reflexive pronouns
I
myself
you (singular)
yourself
he
himself
she
herself
it
itself
we
ourselves
you (plural)
yourselves
they
themselves






*Some verbs that are reflexive in other languages aren't reflexive in English, for example meet,relax and feel.
*We can say on my own, on your own, etc. instead of by myself, by yourself,etc: I enjoy living by myself/on my own.
*Notice the difference between themselves and each other.





Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home